Sunday, February 28, 2010

Perfect Sundays (Kinda)


This Sunday has been particularly amazing.  It started off with seeing a great advertising campaign on the way to Church this morning.  I know.  Me.  Church.  Scientist.  Church.  Mexican.  Baptist.  HAHAHA.  That's a whole 'nother thing though.  Anyways, the window of this jeweler in "downtown" Sulphur Springs says, "Build Your Own Bling."  Holy crap.  This little hick town of 14K people with lots of dairies and truckers has a jeweler that said "bling."  Jackpot.  That's how you know that your day will start off amazingly.  When you walk past that.  I laughed for about, 10 minutes.  No joke.

Anyways, afterwards, my mom decided that we should go eat at one of the quaint little delis in downtown.  The church is right off the square so, so the walk to the "sandwich shoppe" was minimal.  The weather is so ridiculously amazing that it was great.  Little towns always have the weirdest stuff on the square like jewelers that use the word "bling."  My barber is even on the square.  (Not to jump too far off subject, but I've been getting my hair cut by the same barber for 20 years, so I am a "regular" ^_^).  Anyways, I had an avocado split in half with scoops of chicken salad on top.  Yum-o (thanks Rachel Ray).  I haven't had that in forever.  We even ate outside and people-watched.  It has been such a great day!

The only damper is that Sunday afternoons in Sulphur Springs means that your historic house has to be amazing because strangers love to stop in to tour houses.  The sign in our yard pretty much tells everyone, "hey, this is a really old house, come look at it!"  Oh well.  We knew that when we bought it.  all the houses on our street are old.  It's also convenient because we're only a block from the square, so everyone goes to church, eats, and then comes over, haha.  The plus side is that my mom gets to make lots of mint sweet tea.  It is quite delicious.  I like sitting outside on the porch on Sundays drinking sweet tea.  How typical small-town-Southerner, huh?  On a side note: our house is going to be 100 in 2010!!!  ^_^  Not that it really matters.  Maybe we'll throw it a party!?

I also WANTED to go to the library, but it's Sunday.  Grr.  I know, a 23 year old that uses the library!?  I like to read!  Get off my back about it!  I pretty much just go through the aisles and pick books out randomly.  It's pretty great.  I really like the inside of our library anyways.  It's got a lot of really neat art and old stuff from the city's history.  We live in a pretty historic town.  It's also the dairy capital.  I mean, we have a dairy festival complete with the naming of a dairy queen.  HAHAHA.  I love/hate it.  Moral of the story: today has been such a beautiful, leisurely day.  Woot.  I love days like this.  I must now go pour tea for strangers and wave at passersby!  HAHAHA.

6 comments:

Cheap Tricks and Costly Truths said...

What an AWESOME day you had! This morning started with me getting an irate text from someone who read my FB status and thought I was talking about them! GEEZ!!!

I love that your home will be 100 years old! You should throw a party...send out some invites and then maybe the kiddos and I could come visit!

I'm also thrilled (uhmm...not b/c I'm a reading/english teacher or anything)that you enjoy selecting books and reading them. I also am an avid reader. All sorts of stuff. Thanks for sharing your wonderful Sunday, I sure needed it!

Jovan Gonzales said...

CTSquared,
It was a great day. To top it off, my grama made chicken stew, mmmmmmmm. I'm sorry that you got irate textage, how lame!

I really do wanna throw a party. Maybe I'll just throw one in spirit because I don't plan on living there in 2 years, lol. Besides, Dallas is closer to you AND it's better than SS. ^_^

Yes, yes. We are nerds and I love that we read so much! It makes us smart! :D

robertga99 said...

Chicken salad served on an avocado! Why have I not had that before? Sounds Delish!

If you like to read, check out "Americas Boy" by Wade Rouse if you haven't already. Great book!

Jovan Gonzales said...

Berto,
It is SUPER amazing. During the summer, they put a little bit of mango salsa on top, extra yum-o!

I highly doubt that Sulphur Springs Library will have a book like "America's Boy" but I will certainly look for it. Not that it pertains to "America's Boy," but you should read "Farewell to Manzanar." It made me cry. Ha!

Cheap Tricks and Costly Truths said...

Hey, are you looking through my mail? (ha ha) The boys and I just read "Farewell to Manzanar"...and it did make me cry. :-)

But this Nerd can also dance, which I will be doing Saturday night! YAY! YAY!

Jovan Gonzales said...

Yes. I stalk you every day. EVERY. DAY. I love FTM. It's so great. Ahhhh. And where the heck are you going to be dancing!? In Wink!? Pshhhhhh. HAHAHA!

Post a Comment