Friday, February 26, 2010

Southwest Airlines Kicks Butt

That's my savior [on the left] in a land of aerial lame asses.

Alright.  I've basically had the most ridiculous 3 days of all time.  Okay, maybe just in the last couple of years.  It all started on Wednesday.  I was supposed to be on my way to Las Vegas in about 2 hours, but instead, I am not going anywhere awesome this weekend.  Oh well.

Wednesday, I get the news that one of my very best friends is having her baby (it wasn't due for about 3 more weeks) and I have to fly to Colorado Springs immediately.  Whelp.  This is where it gets tough.  I called US Airways (don't ask me why I didn't fly Southwest in the first place -- oh wait, it's Travelocity's fault), to see if I could change my flight for the next one out of DFW airport.  Apparently, US Airways doesn't have much of a presence at DFW because the next flight out to Denver was at 12:30p on Thursday.  I needed to be in Denver by, oh, as soon as possible.  Didn't work.  After about 50 minutes oh hold, I was told that I could take the next flight to Phoenix and fly from there to Denver.  The only problem is that it put me in Denver at 12:15p.  Seriously?  At least the lady was nice, the on hold music certainly wasn't.

That's another thing, who the heck comes up with music for people on hold?  They need new jobs.  The music always sucks.  It really put me into the mood to be a bitch, especially after 50 minutes of it.  I wasn't though -- happy day for the reservations agent -- trust me.

Okay, back to the story at hand.  I then decided that since Delta, US Airways, and United love each other, that I would try to get on a Delta flight.  Oh wait, Delta hates DFW because American Airlines rules DFWlandia.  That turned out to be a flub because they basically wanted to put me onto the same flight to Phoenix then Denver.  United ... pfft.  Don't even get me started.  They're extra lame.  I think they have 4 flights daily from DFW.  Really?  DFW is only one of the busiest, largest airports in all the world.  C'mon.

That's when I decided to cancel all my flights (the one to Vegas and then back home).  I then booked a flight over the phone with Southwest from Dallas-Love Field to Denver.  I was on a plane in 4 hours after getting off the phone and for only $114 round trip!!!  STEAL!!!  This bring me to my title: Southwest Airlines kicks butt!  Ahhhh.  I'm now back home (thanks be to now having to work this weekend to be able to go to Colorado Springs).

Side note: I hate how Dallas-Love Field is being reduced to 20 gates and a smaller terminal.  Thanks a lot Fart Worth for being the jealous sibling.  Fart Worth: I'm sorry, but you will always be Dallas' largest suburb. Basically Fart Worth forced Dallas into agreeing to the Wright Amendment because Meacham got 1% of Texas air traffic while Love Field got 51% back in the 40s-70s.  Look which airport is STILL more important.  It's still Dallas.  You.  Lose.  Plus, everyone (except those from FW) refers to the whole of the Metroplex as "Dallas."  Fort Worth is kind of like San Jose is to San Fransisco.  SJ is WAAAAY bigger than SF, but not as important.  Ft. Worth is WAAAY smaller than Dallas, but not as important.  Sorry Dango, Ft. Worth is the western, older version of cosmopolitan, sleek Dallas.

On a super great side bonus, I got to go through downtown Dallas (I'm just a little obsessed with Dallas) and scope out the new Margaret Hunt Hill Bridge construction.  It's definitely going to be a LOT huger than I thought.  And of course, Dallas has a gorgeous skyline.  Of which there are many pictures.


Yum.

OH!  I almost forgot.  On my travels, I acquired some great things: vanilla beans, New Mexico chili powder, cinnamon (you know, the real kind -- that being Ceylon Cinnamon), aaaaaand my favorite white wine (sparking Spanish white -- Muscado).  I pretty much love going to Dallas because I can find the rarer of things that I like to cook.  Like true saffron.  Not dyed saffron from Wal-Mart.  Real.  Yay for being forced to go to Dallas when I didn't want to!  :D

5 comments:

robertga99 said...

Don't get me started on the BIG airlines. I work for a travel agency. I hate them!!! Their customer service sucks!!!
They all need to take a major lessons from Southwest on how to run an airline.

Glad you got real Saffron & Cinnamon...what about Vanilla? lol

Jovan Gonzales said...

I know!!! They all suck! Since AA, United, DL, etc all nickel and dime you to death, it's no wonder they're all struggling with SW being the only one with good enough credit to do a $600M revamp of Love Field. Hahaha.

I got vanilla beans! Helllooooo. I'm going to make my own vanilla! It's super easy, and then you can use all the parts of the bean for something. Don't be jealous of my homemade, real vanilla! :P

Durango said...

Jovo---
I live in east Fort Worth. I'm aware of FW's delusions regarding its relativity to Dallas. When I'm outta here and asked where I'm from, I say Dallas, cuz people know where you're talking about. It's like when I lived in WA, when I was outta there I'd say I was from Seattle, even though I lived 55 miles north.

What I'm not getting about your emergency flight woes is why didn't you try Southwest first?

And how do you book and cancel so many flights? Like did you get a refund for you Vegas flight?

And, most importantly, was it a boy or a girl?

robertga99 said...

I am so jealous of your homemade vanilla. I made some once but it takes too long. Do you use vodka? how many vanilla beans?

Jovan Gonzales said...

Dango,
Even I say I'm from Dallas and I'm like, oh, 95 miles northeast, hahaha. I'm glad I'm not the only one that does it!

I didn't try SW first because I didn't wanna just outright buy another ticket (I didn't know it would still be so cheap!). I just called the friendly reservations line for each airline and compared. It's better that way. Sometimes, they have a seat just pop up and put you in it! I didn't get a refund for the flight to Vegas, but I did get a half refund. I'm guessing for the flight back. I dunno. So I had to just buy a new ticket. Blehhh.

It was a girl! Her name is Lyla. HOW ADORABLE!!! Ha!

Berto,
Yes, yes, be jealous. If only it didn't take like 1.5 months, lol. I do use vodka. Grey Goose (trust me. quality counts). It depends on the bean variety, but I use about 6-8 per cup of vodka. You just split the beans, scrape the seeds, and shove it in the vodka and let it sit for like a month-ish. You can always add more vodka and vanilla beans as needed. I'm making a giant batch though because I have like 20 beans. I went a little nuts, haha.

Post a Comment