Friday, February 12, 2010

North Texas Received Record-Breaking Snow After All.

I just want to start off by saying, what a great stinking way to wake up on my birthday!  Snow, and lots of it!  I can already tell you that today will be amazing.  No school, going to work later, and still enough fresh snow for more snow ice cream.  Amazing.

Yesterday (that being February 11th, 2010) broke the previous record of snowiest calendar day of all time by more than 4 inches!!!  We had 11.2 inches fall yesterday beating the previous record of 7.8 inches.  DANG!  We also broke the record for most snow in a 24-hour period with 12.4 inches (.3 more than the '78 record).  I won't lie, it's pretty sweet.  If we get 2 more inches this month, we will have the snowiest winter on record for this area as well as the snowiest February of all time.  As much as I complain about not getting enough snow in North Texas, Mother Nature goes and punches me in the face.  I love it.  Not actual physical pain, but the Mother Nature being awesome part.

I also have to add that yesterday was such a great day.  I felt like such a little kid all day.  Thankfully my little cousin Wesley was around so that I didn't feel like such a loser!  We made a pretty great snowman, had snow ice cream, made snow angels, and had a snowball fight.  It's not that I haven't done these things before in my life, it's that I've never done them in Texas.  The last time I remember it snowing enough to make a snowman I was 3 and it wasn't even but an inch, maybe two.

Our snowman was pretty great.  We made his nose from a half-eaten pickle and his eyes and mouth out of marbles!  Notice our great attention to detail with the scarf, hat, and carefully selected stick arms.  Also notice the bowls in the background collecting snow for our snow ice cream!

That would be Wesley making a snow angel while making only the most hilarious faces because of the snow falling on his face.  Ahhhh.  Great.  He's never seen this much Texas snow in his life.  In fact, I guess no one has.  He also had never made snow angels, a snow man, or ice cream.  I'm definitely glad I got to make his February 2010 Snowstorm memorable!

Wesley decided that since I dusted off the satellite the first time, that he would try the second time.  Notice his general lack of height.  Haha.

This is the beginning of our snow ice cream.  Condensed milk, some fake vanilla extract (the real stuff is expensive and I didn't have vanilla beans on hand to make any, so there!), some almond (also fake I'm sure), and tons of sugar.  I don't think there are many better things on the earth.  There are not pictures of the finished product, because we ate it all.  Very quickly. You'll just have to know that it tasted awesome.












And I leave my blog with this, Jack the snowman, hungover -- possibly a sign of things to come?  And also, SUCKS TO YOUR ASS-MAR VANCOUVER!!!  Okay, so I do find it ever so funny that North Texas has been getting more snow (at the moment) than historically snowy places ... ... ... like Alaska and B.C. [read: Vancouver]!!!  I couldn't help but say it!

5 comments:

Cheap Tricks and Costly Truths said...

I LOVE your snow man! We didn't get any of the delicious white stuff here, just rainy cold dreary...ugh. Oh, and btw...HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! Yeah, I know I'm late, but you know I was thinking about ya, right? Come on...you know I was. :)

Bo said...

I wish I would have thought to make some snow ice cream, but the snow here already melted.

Jovan Gonzales said...

CTSquared,

Thanks! Of course I know you were thinking of me!!! I feel special having a bona fide QUEEN wish me a happy birthday! ^_^ Sorry you didn't get any snow. My snowman was better before he died, lol. I haven't seen that much snow outside of CO or Chicago. It was amazing.

Bo,

I can't believe you didn't!!! It's basically one of the tastiest things of all time and it's ridiculously easy and fast. I think I ate the equivalent of a gallon of ice cream. It was pure anyways. No harm, right?

robertga99 said...

fake vanilla extract!!! WTH? You don't like Cher and you use fake vanilla extract. I've got some work to do with you. hehe j/k

love your snowman
We just got some snow and I didn't even think to make snow ice cream...DANG

Jovan Gonzales said...

Berto,

I already explained myself! :P You get off my back about it!

I can't believe you didn't make snow ice cream. It's basically what I live for when winter comes a rollin.

Post a Comment